Friday, January 18, 2008

Jet set cooking - prawns in mustard sauce

There are some days at work which almost convinces me to become an ascetic in Himalayas.Coming home from work on one such day I was craving for some "clean comfort" food.I know that sounds like an oxymoron for every numb skull in town knows that there cannot be anything clean in a comfort food for either they are dripping in oil or they are drowned in sugar making them storehouses of dense calories.I wanted something to comfort my frayed nerves without adding to my weight woes.Racking my brain for some such food, I opened my freezer and found among all the high calorie junk food stocked up there, a container of frozen prawns staring at me, wanting to be picked up but at the same time embarrassed to say so in front of its high cal neighbours.I gave a wink and reached for it, already feeling a little elevated from my melancholy.I said to myself "Good food in 10 minutes, yummy" and so here's what I did to make it a reality.

Ingredients:
----------------
1.Prawns shelled and deveined - 15 nos(medium sized)
2.Chili Powder - 1/4 tsp
3.Turmeric Powder - a pinch
4.Salt - 1/2 tsp / to taste
5.Mustard Powder* - 1 1/2 tsp
6.Oil ( preferably mustard oil, though any oil would do) - 3 tsp
*In case mustard powder is unavailable, then grind whole mustard seeds to a paste.

Method
-----------
1.Put the prawns in a mixing bowl.Add chili powder, turmeric powder and salt.Mix well and keep aside.
2.Add some water to the mustard powder and make a paste.
3.Pour oil in a glass vessel , place the prawns in it such that they don't overlap and fry in a microwave at 600 W for 2 minutes.
4.Turn the prawns on the other side and fry for another 2 minutes at 450 W
5.Mix in the mustard paste.Cover with lid and cook on 450 W for another 4 minutes.

Serve hot with plain white basmathi rice and a tall glass of ice cold water.Lo behold I could see all my worries dissolve in the ocean of pleasure derived from having shorshe chingri(the traditional name of the dish which in Bengali means "mustard prawns")

Enjoy this waistline friendly dish and as always "Keep it light and simple".Remember more oil does not always translate to tasty food.

No comments:

blog readability test

TV Reviews

 
Google